Friday, September 21, 2007

Thoughts 21-9-07

Judging by the few "reviews" I've posted so far, I realize that it looks like I'm pretending to be an actual music critic. I'm really not trying to be. I tend to read a lot of reviews, and it appears that I've picked up the format and the cliches, much to my chagrin.

To clear things up, I'm just a guy who really enjoys this kind of music, and because there are so few outlets for me to discuss my interest in pagan and folk metal, I decided to start this blog. I have no desire to be a "professional" critic. Personally, I would rather be making music myself, which I do on occasion, though not as often as I'd like due to many reasons. This blog is my place to share my own personal opinions on albums I've bought, as well as news and other items about the scene. If nobody ever reads it, that's okay. As long as I get it out of my system, I'm happy.

I also realize that a number of the bands I have discussed and will be discussing on this blog have controversial politics. I will try to not draw attention to those politics, because I hate reading reviews where the author spends half the space distancing themselves from any political messages of the band. If you have a problem with these kinds of bands, there are plenty of other places you can go to talk about it. Please don't use my comment system as a place to gripe about politics. If you do, I'll delete your posts and disable the comment system.

I will not have anything to do with the illegal "trading" of albums in mp3 form. Don't write me asking if I can send you files, or where you can obtain them. If you know how to use the Internet, I'm sure you'll find them if that's what you want. I stand for supporting the pagan metal scene, not cannibalizing it via the (apparently) socially-accepted thievery known popularly as "file sharing." I can direct you to distros where you can obtain the music legally and relatively inexpensively, but I won't help you on your path of dishonor and greed.

Anyway, to give you some background, I've only been listening to this kind of music for a few years now. The first CD I bought in this genre was Windir's 1184, a classic album. My favorite countries for pagan metal are Russia, Finland, Germany, Ukraine, and Poland. My current favorite bands are Moonsorrow, Kroda, Slavland, and Nokturnal Mortum. My most recent CD purchase was Woodtemple's Feel the Anger of the Wind. Right now I am listening to Turisas The Varangian Way, which is far better than I expected it would be.

Well, I'm signing off now.

No comments: